Wednesday, June 09, 2010

LIEUTENANT COLUMBO in PRESCRIPTION MURDER

Photo: Fleming (Patrick Ryecart) and Columbo (Dirk Benedict)



I managed to interview Mr Dirk Benedict at The Fab Cafe last Sunday, but unfortunately I couldn't make it to The Lowry to see him in this production. Fortunately, Mr Richard Howell-Jones could. Here's his review:



FACING COLUMBO

Review by Richard Howell-Jones

Sir! Oh, sir! Sorry to interrupt, I know you’re very busy, but there’s just this one little thing that’s been botherin’ me . . . .
[sigh] Yes, lieutenant?
Is it true I’m in a play, sir?
Yes, lieutenant, it’s true. It’s called Prescription: Murder, produced by Middle Ground Theatre Company at the Lowry theatre, Salford Quays, and runs from Monday 7th to Saturday 12th June at 8pm.
How about that! My wife’ll be thrilled.
We-ell, it’s not actually you, lieutenant.
Huh?
It’s Dirk Benedict.
Well, whaddya know . . . wasn’t he in Battlebus Galactistud - ?
Battlestar Galactica.
- and . . . what was it . . . the B-list?
The A-Team. Yes, he’s quite famous.
Sure, sure, I never watch those things, too cerebral, but my cousin, he just loves ‘em, talks about ‘em all the time.
[sigh] Was there something you wanted, lieutenant?
I’m sorry, sir. Tell me, is he anything like me?
Hard to say, lieutenant. The cigar’s in the script, of course, but I’m not sure the raincoat is; I believe that was Peter Falk’s idea –
So is he like this Falk guy?
Practically identical, right down to the mannerisms, the stance, the voice . . . it’s fun if you’re a fan of the TV shows –
You think Mr Benedict studied this Falk character?
He says not.
Uh-huh. That’s very interesting. Is there anyone else in the show?
Well, the villain is played by Patrick Ryecart, who seemed somehow detached from events –
Maybe he wanted me to think he was innocent?
[sigh] I’d’ve been happy if I’d thought he was interested. A pity, as it lessened considerably the onstage tension between himself and Benedict. What could have been gripping became just amusing. He had some nice comedy moments, mind you.
[writing in notebook] Comedy . . . moments . . . . [looks up] Anything else, sir?
The victim, Karen Drury, did her best with an unsympathetic character who, though a nuisance to her husband, ultimately loved him enough not to struggle while he strangled her.
Well, sir, I can sympathise with that. After all, it’s a week’s run and they can’t have new actresses every night.
True, lieutenant, but even so, I’m sure there’s more to being strangled than gurning & waving one arm about a bit. On the other hand, the lover, Elizabeth Lowe, was very convincing in all her scenes, as were Karren Winchester (the secretary) and Michael Shane (delivery man & detective). I felt a little sorry for George Telfer (District Attorney) who gave the impression that he wasn’t quite sure why he was there but would do his best anyway; more to do with the script than his performance, perhaps, as he had only the one appearance. As for the staging, the music was far too Humphrey Bogart for the period, though the set changes were very impressive.
I get the picture, sir – a theatrical crime scene. You didn’t like it?
I wouldn’t say that, lieutenant. If you like your theatre more light entertainment than deep meaningful drama, or if you’re a Columbo fan, you’ll have an enjoyable evening.
Well, my wife, she loves the theatre sir, maybe I’ll take her along.
Do that, lieutenant. Just leave your cousin at home.
Thank you sir, thank you very much, you’ve been very helpful . . . oh, sir? Sir? Just one more thing.
[sigh] Yes, lieutenant?
Who directed?
Michael Lunney. Can I go now?

No comments: