Thursday, April 15, 2010

'UP ON THE ROOF' (Oldham Coliseum) review:


Well, I finally got there! I wasn't sure whether I'd like this production, as I'm not a big musical fan. There's something about the 'big' performances, and the often schmaltzy song deliveries that just grates on my nerves. Saying that, I cast my mind back to the fabulous production I saw 10 years ago at The Chester Gateway Theatre, 'Three Steps To Heaven', and I remember that it did take a good half hour for the actors to weave their magic and make me care about them (and care about why, and what, they are singing). So it was with 'Up On The Roof', written by Simon Moore and Jane Prowse. I sat grimacing to myself as the ensemble cast played a group of self-obsessed (are there any other kind?) students revelling in their exclusive little clique atop a Hull rooftop in 1975. Here was the handsome lead guy, the fat joker, the amiable slacker, the ugly duckling, and the dumb clotheshorse. Tick off all the boxes. Yes, the a capella music was fantastic but it was all a bit twee and predictable. I trotted off to the first of two intervals for my pint of Carlsberg Export (I needed it!) and wondered about why people do this stuff (produce musicals, not drink strong lager!). Then part two. The pace slowed, the musical bits were fewer, and the characters grew. All of a sudden I began to like it. The handsome lead was a bitter failure, the clotheshorse was a neurotic mess, the slacker was a hard-working nice guy, the ugly duckling was a fox, and the fat joker was. Er....
Anyway, everything perked up, and thanks to some fine thesping I was hooked. Particular kudos to Christopher Pizzey as Tim (the slacker) who reminded me of a looser-limbed Daniel Craig (imagine Bond crossed with Shaggy from Scooby Doo trying to chase that bad guy across the crumbling Sienna rooftops in Quantum Of Solace!). And so this tale of five friends growing up, parting, coming back together, with only their love of music to bind them really got to me. So well done Stephen Fletcher (Scott, the handsome lead) for evoking the spirit of a young Paul McCartney, Gavin Spokes (Keith, the joker) for being scary AND funny, Gemma Wardle (Angela, the ugly duckling come sex kitten) for eliciting our pity then raising our temperatures in that figure-hugging, bottom-enhancing cat suit - Miaow!!! and Georgina White (Bryony the neurotic clotheshorse) for hating you at the start, pitying you in your glorious wedding dress, and loving you at the end. Hurrah to Peter Rowe for spot-on direction and for avoiding the sentimental mush that was always threatening to rear it's curly-haired head. And for including the naughty words (f**k, s**t, etc) that made the young kids sat in front of me giggle with delight! Oh, and for adding 'Love Will Keep Us Together' by Captain and Tenille at the end of Act One, then Joy Division's glorious 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' at the end of Act Two.
Running til 1st May, and thoroughly recommended!!!
By the way, The Stage website review refers to this production as 'UPON THE ROOF'. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After the show I congratulated the actors in the bar, whilst downing my third Carlsberg Export, then proceeded to seek another drinking establishment. I found the Buck Union - a rather atmospheric old place full of 'characters'. Then I wandered into the 24 hour ASDA for a few items, and ate a whole pack of chicken slices on my way home. I waited til I got in before I devoured half the pack of Brie I'd bought. Ooooh, I'm SO decadent, folks!! I am. really.

No comments: