Thursday, January 29, 2009

Man Utd - Normal service resumed?




Well, after thrashing lowly West Brom 5 -0, and my hometown team Wigan breaking Liverpool's hearts with an 87 minute penalty to level the match, it looks like it's business as usual.

In the mid 70s, when I was a shy schoolkid, we all had to have a football team to support, and as I was FAR too poor to ever afford to go and see 4th division Wigan (or ever see them much on the tv), I had to choose a top flight team I could watch on Sunday's 'Kick Off' programme with the evergreen Gerald Sinstadt. As Wigan is precisely halfway 'twixt Manchester and Liverpool, it was down to one of these great rivals. Liverpool were riding high, and would continue to dominate the 1980s, while Utd were a mid table team. What made me choose Utd then? The colour of their shirts. But, 'Hang On!!', I hear you cry, "Don't they both wear red?" Well, yes. But, back then, United's were a shade deeper red, AND as I don't like strawberries, but DO like raspberries, then THAT was the deciding factor.
Yes, I KNOW I should get out more!

Anyroad, I DO have sympathy for the scousers. Gerrard is a great player, and I think he, Carragher, Hypia, and the fans deserve the title soon. IF they won it this year, I would GENUINELY be happy for them, as I simply cannot abide the petty, narrow-mindedness of the fan who 'hates' his team's rivals. Utd play attractive, dynamic football, and USUALLY deserve to win. Let's see!

No comments: